It was brought to my attention that it’s been awhile since I posted and that I left y’all hanging. I’ve had a lot going on, but really nothing to say – if that makes any sense at all! But so you don’t all stay up at night wondering how I’m doing, here you go 🙂 (and it’s a long one)
So what all has happened in the last 3 months…………..
- Royals – because what else would I be doing with my life?? I don’t have cable here, so I can’t watch the games anymore, but I still listen! Gotta love my boys in blue J I went to a couple more games and am actually going next weekend with Dani! I’m waaaay more excited than she is….
- My internship – I started my wedding planning internship! Love it! It’s been a lot of fun! There are all sorts of different people in the world, and it’s really fun to see how each couple’s personalities come out in their wedding.
- Crossfit – It’s brutal, and I have absolutely no upper body strength, but that’s why I’m going right? Pullups….that’s my goal. Just one! Then I’ll go from there. I’ve only been doing it about 2 months, so I really am proud of how far I’ve come in that time.
- Mud run – first one completed!! It wasn’t exactly pretty, and I couldn’t move for days afterwards, but it was so much fun, and we’re doing it again next year!! (and recruiting! 😉 ) I also learned the importance of drinking Gatorade after….I needed some serious electrolyte replenishing!
- Dani’s first country concert – she’d probably shoot me if she knew I publicly told people she was at a country concert, but it was great! And she loved it! Whether she’ll admit it or not 🙂
- Classes started – it’s class. Not too exciting, but they also don’t completely suck. It’s like doing laundry….you just gotta do it. (because that’s the kind of attitude all professors want their students to have haha)
Everything has been going really well! I’m not seeing a therapist anymore because we wouldn’t really have anything to talk about. I did meet with a dietitian to make sure I’m getting what I need to sustain the amount I’m working out. She said everything looks good, but we’re going to continue with once a month for a little bit to make sure I’m not losing too much weight and that I’m seeing the improvements I want in performance. I eat all the time though! It’s crazy, but I just have to remind myself sometimes that in order to run and workout like I want, I’m going to need a lot of fuel to keep up with that, work and class!
Something hit me the other day. My dietitian gave me a thumbs up as far as my meals go and was happy with my mix of “healthy” and “not so healthy” foods. It got me thinking about little changes in how I view food/exercise/my body. Yes, I’ve seen big improvements in how much I can lift and my mile time. Yes, I have a piece or two of chocolate every night and could probably handle eating a few more vegetables and maybe less carbs. Would cleaning up my diet a tiny bit (not much because I do eat pretty well) help me get stronger and better faster? Probably. Do I care? I can honestly say no! If reaching my goals requires me to give up foods, I need to reevaluate my goals. I don’t beat myself up over a piece of chocolate like I might have even a few months ago because I’d rather enjoy life than have 2% body fat. It took time for me to get used to working out again and where my focus should be, but I’m at the point now that my focus isn’t on looking a certain way. It’s about getting stronger. Being able to do a pull-up. Being able to climb the rope. That all will take time, and my chocolate and occasional ice cream won’t slow me down that much! Besides there have been many times where I’ve had to tell myself to keep going because when I finish, there’s chocolate at home!! Motivation! 😛
People often think because I’m quiet I’m not a competitive person, but don’t buy into that. I’m quietly competitive. Over the last few years I’ve been able to turn that into being competitive with myself in a positive way. It isn’t so much about proving to myself I can lose 5 more pounds. It’s proving to myself I can run a 5k. It’s not proving to myself that I have the self-discipline to avoid whole food groups like the plague. It’s proving to myself that I can eat all kinds of food and not gain 100 pounds. It’s trying to beat my run time from yesterday, but not beating myself up if I don’t. It’s finding new goals to work towards to keep constantly improving. Which brings me to……….
I haven’t decided if I’m going to continue posting – although I have said that before – but we’ll see. But just in case I’ll give a glimpse into my life in the near future….
My internship this summer helped me decide what I want to do with my life – as they are supposed to! While I love weddings, I’m not sure I want that to be my whole career. I definitely want to continue with it, but maybe on the side. I still really like the non-profit side. I’ve always wanted to do something that’ll make a difference. I’m sure y’all are aware, but there are only a million non-profits, so I did some soul searching to figure out what is important to me. It didn’t take long to figure it out.
Whatever channel my mom watched this summer played the Wounded Warrior Project commercials on a loop, I swear. Anyway, watching those got me thinking about that. I know military and how involved the US should be is a touchy subject for a lot of people. Say what you want, but I’m an American and damn proud of it. I wouldn’t be where I am and doing the things I’m doing without those that serve/have served. The older I get, the more I appreciate it and really understand what it means. I’ll be honest, I don’t have the balls to join the military. I have thought about it many times, but I don’t think I could do it. But I have the utmost respect for those that do. I just think I’d be much better at supporting them back home, so a few months ago I got looking into careers with WWP, and decided that’s what I want to do. In a perfect world where I get exactly what I want, I’ll be an Outreach Coordinator for WWP by day (meeting with wounded service members and assisting with the recovery process, spokesperson for WWP at events and local VA hospitals, etc.), and a wedding planner/assistant by night/weekend down in Texas!
So what will I be doing the next few months…..
- Building my resume to help my chances of getting said dream job – volunteering more with military organizations, etc.
- I’ve joined a couple clubs that I’m excited about! It’ll get me out and having fun outside of Netflix! 😛
- I turn 21 in less than 2 months!! While most people are excited to have their first (legal) drink(s), I’m thinking about going skydiving! Maybe I’m too old for my age, but I don’t understand getting just trashed. I’d rather do something I’ll remember and can check off my bucket list!
- Hopefully in a couple months (after weddings are done), I’ll be able to get a dog!!!! I’ve only been excited about this for a year and a half. Don’t get me wrong, I love Marlee, but my family won’t let me bring her here. So I’ll be a grown up and get my own dog!! I’m so excited!!
- I’m stupid and have decided to run a half marathon in December! It’s literally right after finals, so I still have 4 months to go from 5 to 13 miles….that’s plenty of time, right….? I just like challenges, and it seemed like the next one for me!
Overall, just doing what I’m doing. I’ve felt good before, but this is a whole new kind of good! I’m happier and more confident than ever. Here’s to the good times!